A Bevy of Botanical Brilliance – Hershey Gardens
You could say it’s always springtime at Hershey Gardens, home to 23 acres of breathtaking colors and delightful aromas and located just three miles from the inn. And this spring and summer, opportunities to participate in musical, educational, creative and artistic offerings for all ages are in full bloom at the 78-year-old botanical attraction.
A celebration of the transformation from old to new, the ArtCycle sculpture exhibit will be on view from Friday, May 22, through Sunday, September 20. Four local artists have created sculptures using discarded items, and the statues, which vary in size and style, are unique interpretations of things seen in nature.
Also on May 22, the Butterfly House, featuring nearly 400 butterflies that represent approximately 25 North American varieties, welcomes visitors for the 2015 season. It will remain open daily, 9 am to 5 pm, until Sunday, September 13, weather permitting.
Also on the Hershey Gardens calendar:
- Friday, May 8: On National Public Gardens Day, enjoy half-price admission with this voucher, which you can print.
- Sunday, May 10: On Mother’s Day, admission is free for all moms.
- Sunday, May 31: The Learn to Build With Natural Materials Furniture Class is back by popular demand. Natural willow furniture builder and book author Bim Willow will teach the basics of building with natural material. No experience is necessary, although students are required to bring hammers and pruning shears. Check the Hershey Gardens website for all the details, including fees and reservation requirements.
- Saturday, June 20: Children are encouraged to dress in fairy costumes for A Whimsical Day of Fairies and Flowers, when they can explore a magical world of fairy gardens and activities. Check the Hershey Gardens website for complete details, including fees and reservation requirements.
- Sunday, June 21: On Father’s Day, admission is free for all dads.
- Mondays, June 29 through August 10, from 10 am to noon, are Marvelous Mondays. Children can investigate nature and this year’s theme, recycling, through entertainment, crafts and discovery stations. There is no additional cost.
- Wednesdays in July are known as Wind Down Wednesdays at Hershey Gardens, with musical entertainment from 5:30 to 6:30 pm. There is no additional cost, and on these nights the Butterfly House stays open until 6:45 pm.
- Saturday, July 25: During the Butterflies and Beyond program from 9:30 am to noon, education stations and activities will cover the four gardens B’s: butterflies, birds, bees and bugs. Grammy-nominated songwriter and children’s entertainer Ray Owen will perform at 10 and 11 am. There is no additional cost.
- Saturday, August 8: At the Succulent Creation Adult Class, Master Gardener Carol Moose will demonstrate the many uses of succulents for home decorating, and participants will create a wreath to take home. Check the Hershey Gardens website for details, including fees and reservation requirements.
- Saturday, August 22, and Sunday, August 23: The Blooming Art Exhibit, presented by the Hershey Area Art Association, will be on display from 10 am to 4 pm. There is no additional cost.
Nearby: You don’t want to miss the Art on Chocolate fine arts and craft show, taking place Saturday, May 16, from 10 am to 5 pm in downtown Hershey, about 10 minutes from our Hershey bed and breakfast.
Art on Chocolate, presented by the Downtown Hershey Association and the Hershey/Derry Township Historical Society, will feature more than 100 of the area’s finest artists and craftsmen, live music, children’s entertainment and great food.