The Asparagus in our little patch is leaping out of the ground and we’re using it every way we can – steamed, in quiches and salads. We love it quickly grilled and if you have any left over (seldom happens here), you can make a delightful spring soup.
- 1 ½ lb. fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 3 Tbl. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. cracked pepper
- 1 large sweet onion coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbl all purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbl. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Fresh Rosemary leaves
- Place asparagus in a single layer on a large platter. Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and black pepper. Toss to coat.
- Heat the grill to medium. Place a multi-functional perforated grill pan on grill. Place asparagus in pan in a single layer and grill 5-8 minutes or until crisp tender, turning half way through cooking. You can stop here and enjoy.
- Remove the asparagus from the heat to a cutting board and let cool.
- Heat the remaining oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook until crisp tender.
- Meanwhile cut the asparagus into one-inch pieces.
- Reduce heat to low. Add flour to onion mixture. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring often.
- Gradually stir in broth. Heat to boil. Reduce heat to low. Add most of the asparagus saving a small amount for garnish. Cover and cook about 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree soup mixture in blender or food processor until smooth. Return all of soup mixture to sauce pan. Add remaining asparagus and rosemary. Cook over medium heat until hot. Garnish with fresh rosemary if desired – Serves 8