As many of you know, Frank can’t have shell fish but he loves this great substitution. The vegetarians and vegans in your life will find it a special treat too.
- 1 cup dry sea food seasoning (such as Zatarain’s or Old Bay)
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 lemons, halved crosswise
- 2 1-pound heads of cauliflower, cored, trimmed into 2″ florets
- Cocktail sauce
- Combine sea food seasoning with salt, onions, garlic, and 6 quarts water in a large pot. Squeeze juice from lemons into pot and add lemon halves. Set pot over high heat and bring liquid to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes to let flavors meld. Using a slotted spoon, remove onions, garlic, and lemons from broth; discard. Return liquid to a rolling boil.
- Add cauliflower; turn off heat, cover pot tightly, and let stand until cauliflower is crisp-tender, 5–10 minutes. Drain; spread out cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet and let cool completely. DO AHEAD: Cauliflower can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
Serve as you would shrimp with cocktail sauce.