Our good friend, Karen brought this great chili to the farm’s Caroling party. At the end of the evening there was not a scrap left and everyone wanted the recipe. It’s simply perfect for a cold winter night.
- 2 Tb. Vegetable Oil
- 2 C. chopped onion
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 lbs. ground turkey breast
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 15 oz. cans pumpkin puree
- 3 Tb. Chili powder
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Dash of salt
- 2 14 oz. cans chicken broth
- 2 C. shredded light cheddar cheese
- 2 C. reduced fat sour cream
Saute onion, bell peppers and garlic for 10 min. until softenened. Stir in turkey breast, and cook until no longer pink. (I sauté the peppers, etc. and the turkey separately, then combine).
Mix in tomatoes, pumpkin, broth, Chili powder, black pepper and salt. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer 25 min. or until desired thickness. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cheddar cheese and sour cream.
Note: If it’s too thick, add more broth or water. Karen’s was just right.