Now that the warmer weather is here, how about a recipe that’s fail-safe, easy, and yields a treat that’s oh-so delicious? The hardest part of making this lemon liqueur is waiting for the peels to steep, but your patience will be rewarded. As a special summer treat, a little of this lemony goodness turns a glass of regular old iced tea into a cooling cocktail. In winter, use a bit to enhance a cup of hot tea and be twice warmed. What a great hostess gift — you are sure to be invited back!
- 2 lbs of organically grown lemons
- 1 quart 100 proof vodka
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- Cut the yellow part of the peel from the lemons.
- Steep the peels in vodka in a covered glass container for one week at room temperature.
- Then in a pot mix 1 ½ cups sugar with water. Heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Cool thoroughly.
- Remove peels from vodka. Strain to remove small pieces and other residue. Discard peels.
- Add the sugar syrup to vodka and stir.
- Bottle and enjoy.
It will keep for up to 2 years.