Our region of Central Pennsylvania is wonderful to visit all year long as activities abound both indoors and out. However, fall is certainly in a class of it’s own. If you’re looking for fall fun amidst a backdrop of autumn hues, blue skies, and fresh air, then you’ve found it! Here’s your guide to 7 fall activities near Hershey and Harrisburg PA.
#1 – Attend Fall Festival and Old Fashioned Day
The Annual Fall Festival and Old Fashioned Day takes place October 2 at Echo Dell Indian Echo Caverns right here in Hummelstown. You’ll find arts and crafts by area vendors, a variety of craft demonstrators, food vendors, and antique tractors on display. Take a horse-drawn wagon ride or tractor wagon rides. Visit the pumpkin patch. Try your hand at corn cannon, geode cracking, gem mining, and various games. You can even get a glittering tattoo. This fun outdoor event will be held rain or shine, and many of the activities are free. This is the perfect way to spend a fall day in Hershey Pennsylvania.
Festival Date & Time: Saturday, October 2, 2021 from 10am to 4pm
Festival Location: 368 Middletown Rd, Hummelstown, PA 17036
#2 – Go Apple Picking
Central Pennsylvania is the ideal location for growing apples, so you’ll find plenty of orchards from which to choose. Here are a few within a 30-minute drive of our Inn at Westwynd Farm.
- Farming in the Harrisburg area since 1843, family-owned Strites Orchard is the place to be this fall, offering a wide variety of homegrown fruits, vegetables and plants. U-pick apples are available during September and October.
- Sycamore Spring Orchard is another family-owned orchard where you can pick your own from a selection of 10 varieties of juicy apples.
- Honey Bear Orchards offers apple-picking from mid-July to mid-September. Operating since 1980, this family-owned business is nestled in the hills of nearby Lebanon, PA.
#3 – Shop at a Farmers Market
- Farmers Market in Hershey – Head down to Hershey for responsibly grown, harvested, and produced goods. Fresh produce, food trucks, amazing BBQ, and much more await your visit. Thursday afternoons between 2:30-6:30pm from May through October.
- Market on Chocolate – This producer-only new market features 27 vendors selling produce, hot sauces, eggs, meats and wine. Saturdays from 9am-1pm.
- Farmstead – Located in nearby Palmyra, this charming indoor market is open year-round! In addition to produce, vendors sell a variety of goods, such as Polish pottery, wine, dog treats, and more. Fridays from 8am-6pm and Saturdays 8am-3pm.
- PA Open Air Farmers Market – Purchase locally-grown produce directly from producers each Tuesday and Friday from 9:00am-6pm. Located in Harrisburg.
- Broad Street Market – Also located in Harrisburg, this longtime market offers pho soup, fried fish sandwiches, organic vegetables, bulk candy, burritos and coffee. Thursday-Friday from 7am-5pm and Saturday from 7am-4pm.
#4 – Follow the Hershey Harrisburg Brew Barons Beer Trail
While beer is great to enjoy any time of year, during the fall months, the Brew Barons Beer Trail let’s you enjoy the autumn foliage as you drive to over 20 Pennsylvania breweries. This interactive craft beer adventure in Hershey and Harrisburg allows beer lovers to visit the participating breweries and tasting locations at their own pace. Learn more about Pennsylvania beer.
#5 – Visit Cassels Vineyard
Cassels Vineyard offers wine tasting so you can try before you buy. In addition to award-winning wine, you’ll enjoy a deck where you can sit and take in the views of the beautiful vineyard, and the mares and foals grazing nearby. The Cassel family has been cultivating the land for over 100 years, since 1903. Located just 2 miles west of Hershey Park, their 135-acre farm includes a 5-acre vineyard that grows six varieties of grapes: Chambourcin, Cabernet Franc, Chardonnay, Concord, Niagara, and Vidal.
#6 – Stroll through Hershey Gardens Pumpkin Glow
Every year, visitors and residents alike look forward to the Hershey Gardens Pumpkin Glow. Come enjoy Halloween-themed activities in a safe environment with social distancing in mind. This year’s Pumpkin Glow will take place during the daytime inside the new “Glow House.” You’ll find 100 carved and painted pumpkins, food trucks, performances in the amphitheater, and more! What’s more, you’ll discover Hershey Gardens decorated like never before.
Pumpkin Glow Dates & Time: October 24, 25, 31 & November 1 from 9am-5pm
#7 – Take a Fall Foliage Drive
Central Pennsylvania is literally teeming with thousands of deciduous trees providing the perfect recipe for a kaleidoscope of color during the fall months. As you explore our highways and back country roads, you can either wander aimlessly as you take in the sights, or use this guide for 5 fall foliage drives.
After a day of fall activities near Hershey and Harrisburg, PA, head back to Inn at Westwynd Farm in nearby Hummelstown for an overnight stay. Make it a fall getaway weekend or take a break from work midweek. Fall is stunning here on the farm as well, and we offer plenty of luxurious and relaxing amenities for a delightful escape!