We’ve put together a list of 7 fall activities near Hershey and Harrisburg, PA. However, our region of Central Pennsylvania is lovely to visit all year long as indoor and outdoor activities abound. However, fall is undoubtedly in a class of its own. If you’re looking for fall fun amidst a backdrop of autumn hues, blue skies, and fresh air, you’ve found it!
#1 – ATTEND FALL FESTIVAL AND OLD FASHIONED DAY
The Annual Fall Festival and Old Fashioned Day takes place in early October at Echo Dell Indian Echo Caverns right here in Hummelstown. You’ll find arts and crafts by area vendors, a variety of craft demonstrators, food vendors, and antique tractors on display. Take a horse-drawn wagon ride or a tractor wagon ride. Visit the pumpkin patch. Try your hand at corn cannon, geode cracking, gem mining, and various games. You can even get a glittering tattoo. This fun outdoor event is held rain or shine, and many of the activities are free. This is the perfect way to spend a fall day in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
Festival Location: Echo Dell Indian Echo Caverns, 368 Middletown Rd, Hummelstown, PA 17036
#2 – GO APPLE PICKING
Central Pennsylvania is the ideal location for growing apples, so you’ll find plenty of orchards to choose from. Here are a few within a 30-minute drive of our Inn at Westwynd Farm.
- Farming in the Harrisburg area since 1843, family-owned Strites Orchard is the place to be this fall. They offer a wide variety of homegrown fruits, vegetables, and plants. U-pick apples are available during September and October.
- Sycamore Spring Orchard is another family-owned orchard where you can pick your own juicy apples from a selection of 10 varieties.
- Honey Bear Orchards offers apple picking from mid-July to mid-September. Operating since 1980, you’ll find this family-owned business nestled in the hills of nearby Lebanon, PA.
#3 – SHOP AT A FARMERS MARKET
- Farmers Market in Hershey– Head down to Hershey for responsibly grown, harvested, and produced goods. Fresh produce, food trucks, fantastic BBQ, and much more await your visit. Thursday afternoons between 2:30-6:30pm from May through October.
- Market on Chocolate– This producer-only market features 27 vendors selling produce, hot sauces, eggs, meats, and wine. Saturdays from 9:30am-1:30pm.
- Farmstead – Located in nearby Palmyra, this charming indoor market is open year-round! In addition, vendors sell a variety of goods, such as Polish pottery, wine, dog treats, and more. Fridays from 8am-6pm and Saturdays 8am-3pm.
- PA Open Air Farmers Market – Purchase locally-grown produce directly from producers each Tuesday and Friday from 9am-4pm from May to November, located in Harrisburg.
- Broad Street Market – Also located in Harrisburg, this longtime market offers pho soup, fried fish sandwiches, organic vegetables, bulk candy, burritos, and coffee. Thursday-Friday from 7am-6pm and Saturday from 7am-4pm.
#4 – FOLLOW THE HERSHEY HARRISBURG BREW BARONS BEER TRAIL
While beer is great to enjoy any time of year, during the fall months, the Brew Barons Beer Trail lets you enjoy the autumn foliage as you drive to over 20 Pennsylvania breweries. This interactive craft beer adventure in Hershey and Harrisburg allows beer lovers to visit the participating breweries and tasting locations at their own pace. You can also check out some of the must-try local breweries and distilleries.
#5 – VISIT CASSEL VINEYARDS
Cassel Vineyards offers wine tasting, so you can “try before you buy”. In addition to award-winning wine, you’ll enjoy a deck where you can sit and take in the views of the beautiful vineyard and the mares and foals grazing nearby. The Cassel family has been cultivating the land for over 100 years, since 1903. Located just two miles west of Hershey Park, their 135-acre farm includes a 5-acre vineyard that grows six varieties of grapes: Chambourcin, Cabernet Franc, Chardonnay, Concord, Niagara, and Vidal.
#6 – STROLL THROUGH HERSHEY GARDENS PUMPKIN PALOOZA
Every year, visitors and residents alike look forward to the Hershey Gardens Pumpkin Palooza. Enjoy Halloween-themed activities this October. You’ll find 100 carved and painted pumpkins, food trucks, performances in the amphitheater, and more! What’s more, you’ll discover Hershey Gardens decorated like never before.
#7 – TAKE A FALL FOLIAGE DRIVE
Central Pennsylvania is teeming with thousands of deciduous trees providing the perfect recipe for a kaleidoscope of color during the fall months. As you explore our highways and back country roads, you can either wander serendipitously as you take in the sights or use this guide for five ways to see the fall foliage.
After a day participating in one or more of our 7 fall activities near Hershey and Harrisburg, PA, head back to the Inn at Westwynd Farm. We’re nearby Hummelstown and a great option for an overnight (or multi-night) stay. Make it a fall getaway weekend or take a break from work midweek. Fall is stunning here on the farm, and we offer plenty of luxurious and relaxing amenities for a delightful escape. Check availability today.
Updated August 2023