About 45 minutes southeast of the Inn at Westwynd Farm lies a divine world. There, life has a peaceful rhythm, and those who reside there find harmony with nature and old-world tradition. You know you have entered Lancaster County when you slow down to drive through a covered bridge, and a horse and buggy awaits on the other side. This quintessential place will bring you back to a world before your time and surprise you in ways you would never expect. Visiting Amish Country for the day will be an unforgettable experience! With countless options, your predicament will not be what to do, but which adventure to choose! Here are 5 fun ways to experience Amish Country in Lancaster, PA.
#1 – Aaron & Jessica’s Buggy Rides
Enjoy touring Amish country the way the locals live, in a horse and buggy. The rolling hills and rows upon rows of impeccable farmland will allure you to want to be part of this world, even if it is for just a day. On your tour with Aaron & Jessica’s Buggy Rides, you can sample homemade ice cream and purchase delicious baked goods to take home. Stop by the many stores along the way and choose unique gifts for your loved ones back home. You’ll find beautiful, handmade quilts and hand-crafted wooden toys. Or take home with you a piece of furniture built to your customization, knowing it will be in your family for generations to come!
- Aaron & Jessica have been serving meals and providing buggy rides since 1969!
- Visit them any time of year! They are open between 9am and 6pm Monday through Saturday and 10am – 4:30pm on Sunday.
- Tours run between 20 minutes and 2 hours. Choose from five available ride routes.
- Tour Coupon
#2 – Strasburg Electric Scooter Rides
Want to experience Amish Country at a faster, more adventurous pace? Strausberg Electric Scooter Rides is an award-winning outdoor attraction with many tours. The experienced tour guide will ensure you have an unforgettable experience, from the Bridges & Brunch Tour to the Ultimate Amish Adventure. Whether you choose a Single Seat, Double Seat, Scoot Coupe, or just an Electric Bike, the choice is yours! Tour Coupon
#3 – Covered Bridges
Spend the day driving down through the back oads of Lancaster County and enjoying breathtaking scenery along the way. As you travel southeast, you will encounter beautiful covered bridges, one of the many long-standing attractions. Pennsylvania has 219 covered bridges, the most of any state, and it also has the oldest and longest covered bridge in the U.S. This picturesque background will compel you to visit one of the area’s bakeries or sweets and treats. So, put together a wonderful picnic with your delicious finds, and sit back and contemplate these magnificent sites. While you’re there, take pictures of these charming, historic covered bridges, explore the history of war and romance, and just appreciate the craftsmanship and structural marvel. This adventure will be a day to remember. Take along our extensive guide to the area’s covered bridges and begin your journey. View map
#4 – Ice Cream Experience
Lancaster County has more delicious ice cream parlors than you can imagine. You will not know where to go first, let alone what flavor to choose! As you read about their choices and look at pictures, make a game of who has the best creamery, flavor, or the most complex combinations you have ever tried? How about who has the best malts or milkshakes? Let yourself be a kid again for a few hours and venture out on the trail of ice cream delights! Here are 3 locals’ favorite ice cream spots:
- Rolled Cold Creamery has rolled ice cream, a unique experience! This fantastic dessert is creamy, delicious, and made to order right in front of your eyes. If you can’t do dairy, they offer vegan rolled ice cream at your request! It is free of dairy, gluten, almonds, tree nuts, and coconut. It is both creamier and thicker than nut-based alternatives. View menu.
- Fox Meadows has a signature treat called a “Baked Fox” – allow yourself to indulge in something special. Their combinations are decadent and satisfying. Your taste buds will compel you to come back for more! View menu.
- Lancaster Sweet Shop has a beautiful, and welcoming store. Enjoy the ambiance that will make you feel you were somewhere in a European city— try their delicious ice creams and stroopies,. On your way out, explore their gift shop, where you are sure to find original local gifts and treats to take home with you.
#5 – Dining Out in Amish Country
Whether you are interested in having a quiet, romantic meal with your loved one or wanting to bring your family together by enjoying a traditional Amish meal, Lancaster County has something for everyone! These days, Amish Country has combined their conventional ways of cooking and implemented present-day amenities and entertainment, so you can enjoy an overall authentic experience.
- Bird-In-Hand – The Smucker Family has been serving Pennsylvania Dutch food for the past 50 years. Their homestead is rich in history and tradition, and their dedicated stewards make sure you have an unforgettable experience. Plus, their menu offers a wide variety of options to enjoy: an a la carte menu, vegetarian and gluten-free options, and monthly specials. Or lose yourself in the all-you-can-eat buffet. Bird-In-Hand also invites you to watch a Broadway-style musical theatre in a unique Lancaster Country setting. You have a choice of Lunch & Show or Dinner & Show. The Best of Me…, a new musical comedy, is playing until October 20. Book your tickets early!
- The Lancaster Ale Trail features must-visit breweries showcasing a wide variety of local ales, delicious food, live music, and entertainment.
- Enjoy an elegant dinner aboard the Strasburg Railroad. This is a great option, for a romantic date night or a more casual family get-together.
Amish Country offers more than you could have imagined, from award-winning chef cuisine to family-run restaurants, all sharing with you their local produce and talented gifts. After a day of exploring, learning and tasting, return to your luxurious guest room at Inn at Westwynd Farm for rest, relaxation and special treatment.