Lettuce is a springtime favorite, especially romaine. Romaine is a variety of lettuce with sturdy dark green leaves and firm ribs down their centers. Commonly used in Caesar salad, romaine lettuce is commonly used in North America because of it’s year-round availability in supermarkets. We hope you enjoy this fresh spring green salad with poppy seed dressing recipe! It’s fresh, tangy and delicious, and perfect as a side or a meal.
Spring Green Salad
Feel free to substitute different types of lettuce and/or vegetables.
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 16 cups torn romaine lettuce (about 1 large head)
- 1 English hothouse cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup minced fresh dill
- Salt and pepper
- Whisk oil, juice, and garlic in a small bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Combine lettuce, cucumber, green onions, and dill in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
Sweet and Sour Poppy Seed Dressing
This dressing is so delicious you can use it on any salad any time of year.
- 1-½ cups white sugar
- 1-½ cups oil
- ⅔ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. Poppy seed
- 2 tsp. Mustard
- 2 tsp. Salt
- ½ medium onion
- Mix all ingredients together in a blender (except the poppy seed).
- After blending, stir in poppy seeds.
Tip: You can add water if dressing thickens after sitting.
If you enjoy this spring green salad with poppy seed dressing recipe, find more delicious recipes from Inn at Westwynd Farm.